Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Growing, Growing, Flat

Kyper is growing growing. (Here he is with my bear at 6 months.)

Our cookies were flat.

After some experimentation, I finally added enough flour and baking soda to have presentable cookies. Just so you know, I am 100% positive I put the amount the recipe called for. My favorite theory is from my friend Amanda, is that I over mixed the dough. (I am not being sarcastic--I think that really was the case.) One of my first experiments included trying to use our pizza stone instead of a metal cookie sheet. The results were the same as you can see from the picture above.

4 comments:

A and C said...

i bet that is exactly what happened. my cookies turned out exactly like that when i over mixed them. :)

Cohrs Compilations said...

This ALWAYS used to happen to me when I made cookies in MI. Growing up, they worked fine at my mom's house, but then, in college and after, they never came out right. Some people would tell me it's because of the butter, or it was too melted. Maybe it was just bad ovens at Calvin or in a rental apartment, BUT all I know is once my sister in law gave us the SILPAT baking mat, they were back to normal.

Anonymous said...

Julie your little boy is getting so big! He is a cutie!

How are you guys doing? Are you getting geared up for 4th year?? If I remember right your husband is a DPM right??

Erin Ehinger said...

I heard that cookie flatness has to do with butter and sugar content. Or maybe the brown sugar and white sugar ratio. I think the butter issue has to do with the butter too melty, so maybe if you overmixed them it changed the butter. Good Eats has an episode on cookies.