We have made the dough homemade for the dumplings some years, but sometimes we just pie the pie crusts that you can get in the store and use those. They both taste good. This year we bought the crusts, since we were in Traverse City and didn't have all the ingredients there to make the dough.
The apple pies I make we have never made our own crusts. Yes, I go to the store and buy the pie crusts already in the tin pie pans and use that. I then make a crumble topping for the pie. It is way easy and it tastes amazing. They come in a pack of two, hence why I make two apple pies every year. I did that earlier this year.
However, this year I made a third apple pie. My MOPS group made apple pies at the last meeting. We made the dough and everything! And, surprisingly it was pretty simple and I think I might have to try it next year. The one thing that I am a little disappointed about is that we didn't measure out the ingredients ourselves, because it sped up the process that day when 20 women are doing it at once. And, I believe the lady who measured the ingredients put way too much salt in my dough. I am a little worried that she put a tablespoon instead of a teaspoon. I almost always half the amount of salt a recipe calls for--especially when baking. So, the crust is too salty. We figured if we took the top part off, then it tasted a lot better since the sweet apple mixture soaked into the bottom crust and you don't get as much of the salty crust.
The only thing is if I want to do this, I will need to go buy a pie pan. Yup, I do not own a pie pan. Oh well. We'll see what next year brings. I also saw a lot of other MOPS women using an apple peeler/corer/slicer. That made it go really fast! What a great contraption.
Here are pictures of my apple pie. I think it looks pretty nice considering it is my first time ever making the crust by hand. :)
Before it was baked
After baking
Side note: MOPS stands for Moms of pre-schoolers. (Not children in preschool, but children who don't go to school yet.) I went to a group down in Dearborn last year and enjoyed it. This year I changed groups to one closer to my home. It is a great way to find other Christian moms in your area. MOPS is a Christian and national organization.

No comments:
Post a Comment