Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Status, Story, and Stoked.

A Status Report on my Job Search
Being a new mom, I have found that I am doing a full time job just taking care of Kyper. But, due to Joel still being a student ad not making any income, I am looking for work outside of the home. I feel a little guilty, because I don't feel like I am very dedicated to the job search or motivated. The last two times I was looking for a job that is all my life consisted of--the job hunt. Now, I have a beautiful distraction to take care of, so I don't feel like I have put my all into hunting for a job. I feel like I just want God to drop a amazing opportunity in my lap and for me not to do any work to actually get a job. Well, during one of Kyper's naps I found what to me sounds like an amazing opportunity--a part time Executive Director for Rebuilding Together. (Rebuilding Together is a national organization. It does a lot with low income home repair.) They stated that it would be about 20 hours/week with it getting busier in the winter, because their main work day is the last Saturday in April (their old name was Christmas in April). Then it would probably be less hours during the summer. There are a number of reasons why this is a job that excites me. First, I would be an Executive Director--that is a great position to put on a resume and one where I would tremendously grow in my profession. I would be able to do some of the things I eventually want to do as a consultant--grants, long term planning, etc. Second, the time--at this point part time sounds good. Do I really want to be away from Kyper 40 hours a week? Plus it sounds like the hours are pretty flexible and could be some nights and weekends. Depending on Joel's rotation this would be nice, because if Joel is home, Kyper won't need to be in daycare or a babysitter all the time. I am not sure if they even have an office, so I may be able to do some work from home. (Here's hoping that is the case.) Also, with it being part time I would have time to work on starting my own consultant business while at the same time have some income coming in. One of my dreams is to be a consultant for nonprofits. I want to work with nonprofits on finding, writing and reporting on grants. I also like to plan and organize so I want to help them facilitate long term planning and program development. Perhaps, I would even help them in evaluating programs. If I am only working part-time I would have time to really research what this takes and possible start some. (With consulting I will be able to make my own hours, do a lot of work from home, and stay in the field while at the same time being a mom to Kyper and any future children we have. I have told Joel that once something like this happens, I will be able to say yes and no to what work I have so I can work less once he starts working or work more if we need a little extra income.) So, I am excited about this job and my future dream. My reason for writing about it so early on in the process (I only sent my resume yesterday) is to ask for your prayers.
So, maybe God did drop this into my lap. There is something else that I feel like God dropped into my lap this week, which brings me to my next point of this blog.

Let me Share a Story
Anawim Housing has a fund developer that works as a consultant for them. (She is who I really got the idea about consulting from.) I was fortunate to be able to work with her and build a relationship with her. So, not only was she a co-worker, she is a friend of mine. I feel like we share many values--especially when it comes to being a mom. The other day I was chatting with her online and I asked her how work was going. Let's just say she is getting very busy with her work for Anawim, because 9 Homes in 9 Days is starting on Sept. 9! (Kind of like Extreme Home Makeover, but for a nonprofit and for 9 families who will rent the homes and actually be able to stay in them. Soapbox: I like seeing the results and homes that they build on that show, but what families are actually ever able to stay in them long term. Imagine the amount those families need to pay to stay on top of utilities, property taxes, mortgages, etc...okay I will return to the original point of this story.) She told me that she actually had hired someone to help her with some of the extra items for the project. I then proceeded to tell her that if she needs anything I would be willing to help (of course it has to be things that I can do in MI and on the computer, because this is all happening in Iowa). She then asked if I would ever be willing to edit her grants and maybe if her business picks up if I would ever want to write any of the grants. I told her yes. (I initially just asked to be a good friend and not really thinking about any financial gain, but she told me that she would incorporate my services into her proposals so I may get a little income here and there for that. :)) Well, this past week she emailed me about another idea she had and wondered if I wanted to help. She wants to start her own nonprofit that would advocate for better services for new moms and dads--advocate for better family leave practices, educate about postpartum depression and things like that. She wondered if I would want to help. So, I am doing some research on the topics as well as looking into potential funders for her. She said that when she gets 501(C)3 status that I would be able to be the grant writer. I am so excited about this opportunity! So, you can all pray for this as well. :)

Something I'm Stoked about:
I am stoked about Joel's rotation this month. Joel is in a Family Practice Clinic. (He was first scheduled for peds, but that got switched last minute.) Although the days are longer, he again has quite a nice schedule. The doctor he is following works Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and every other Saturday. Therefore, Joel has Wednesdays off. It is nice having him home in the middle of the week. Pus this weekend he gets Saturday and Monday off, because it isn't the Saturday that the doctor works and Monday is Labor Day. :) Joel actually won't end up working any Saturday though. The first Saturday that the clinic is open is September 12 and Joel is standing up in a wedding that day. (The doctor told him that Saturdays were optional anyway, so Joel doesn't feel too bad. But, he would work if he was in town.) The next Saturday that the clinic is open--Joel will be done with the rotation and gearing up to start his next one (GI). (Over that weekend, Joel, Kyper and I are going to the cottage for a weekend getaway. :))

No comments: