Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2009

My New Diet Plan

The other day I had a really bad charley horse in my calf before getting out of bed. It hurt for almost 3 days. I have read that these are quite common in pregnancy. I wasn't super worried; it was just literally a pain. I actually limped due to the pain I was in at times. Joel, on the other hand, did get a little worried. I think being a medical student coupled with being my protective and caring husband he got a little paranoid. At one point, he told me I should call the doctor because he was worried it may be more serious than just a leg cramp. I didn't call the doctor, because I wouldn't have even known how to begin that conversation on the phone with a nurse. "Hi, my name is Julie and I am married to a medical student...I had a charley horse and he is worried about it." Don't get me wrong, I love Joel dearly and I am not mocking him. I love that he cares and loves me so much to get a little paranoid at times. (It has increased since I am carrying his child!) Instead of calling the doctor, I read up a little about leg cramps. Like I said, I read they are fairly common in pregnancy. The articles I read told me to stretch it out, drink lots of water and get the right nutrition.

This brings me to my new diet plan. First, make sure I drink lots of water. This isn't really new and I love water, so it won't be a problem. I just have to make sure I am getting enough each day. I love Joel and his antics. Here he is showing us how I should drink water. :)Second, I have never been a very big breakfast eater. Third, I know I don't get enough potassium and calcium in my diet. I don't like the texture of bananas, so I don't eat them alone. I also grew up allergic to milk, so I never got into drinking milk for my calcium. (I am trying to remember to take a calcium supplement besides my prenatal vitamin.) For these two reasons, I decided that I am going to make fruit smoothies for breakfast. This way I can insert a lot of calcium and potassium in my diet plus eat a breakfast that I like. However, the thought of making a smoothie every morning makes me cringe. I like my sleep (which also probably explains the lack of breakfast at times). So, to take time every morning to do this was a huge turn off for me. Then the light bulb went off (actually I think Brandie gave me the idea)--why not make them ahead of time and freeze the smoothies! Bingo! My problem was solved. Before, I could do this though, I needed to find cups with lids that I could freeze the smoothies in. This proved much harder than I thought. I checked Walgreens, a dollar store and Target. None to be found. Joel and I were leaving Target a little defeated. (I had bought bananas that I needed to use...I really wanted those cups! Note: I like the flavor of bananas, just not the texture, so blended is good.) Fortunately, on our way out of Target, we walked past the food section and a light bulb went off in Joel's head. "Why not buy plastic bottles with water in them and use those bottles to store your smoothies?" Brilliant! So, I don't typically buy flavored water, actually I probably never do. But, last night Joel and I bought 5 Vitamin waters. (Bonus: they were on sale! Plus, they had some of the vitamins I was looking to add to my diet any way.) I think this idea actually may have cost us less than buying specific tumblers with lids.


Because of Joel's brilliance and my grocery shopping earlier that week, I was able to make my smoothies last night. :) I had a little taste and I am so looking forward to Monday morning. I got a variety of frozen fruits, plain and strawberry yogurt, bananas (fresh) and milk or orange juice. So, I can get a variety of different types of smoothies. Last night, I made two strawberry and banana ones. (Joel and I each had our vitamin water for drinks with dinner last night.) My plan today, is to make a berry smoothie with my other banana, blackberries, plain yogurt, and orange juice. My mother-in-law got me a sweet cookbook for a past birthday or Christmas gift entitled "smoothies and juices" that will be very handy in this endeavor! Man, I really want Monday morning to come so I can drink my breakfast smoothie!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

way to go!! I used to do this on a regular basis. What worked well for me to freeze mine in were my plastic travel coffee mugs. I like them b/c they were insulated and had a wide opening for using a spoon.
I'd recommend taking your smoothie out of the freezer the night before and sticking it in the fridge to thaw out a little. It takes a while.
Good Luck!

Becca said...

I agree with Steph about taking it out the night before. I also was in to them for awhile. If making them ahead of time is a big hassle, I have a little blender that is also a travel cup--the lid switches. Throwing in some frozen fruit with a little water and some protein powder really only took a minute (if that!). You already have it in the mug, so it's fast. However, your way might work perfectly well too!! Let us know how it goes!

Julie said...

I put it in the fridge last night and it was good to go this morning. (Although, I couldn't find straws in the house...that problem was solved at work that day.)

A and C said...

brilliant idea. i should jump on this bandwagon... :)

{Erica} said...

I had charlie horses EVERY NIGHT and sometimes even during the day when I was pregnant (I get them even when I'm not at last three times a month...)! Drinking lots of water and making sure you have enough potassium is what helped me (and calcium). I would make sure I ate a banana every day :)

Did you see the special they did about Vitamin water? apparently it has a TON of sugar in it and hardly any vitamins. I've never had it so I don't know but that's what the special was on (20/20 or something like that). Anyway still a BRILLIANT idea to reuse the bottles...we do that often here.

Hope you're feeling well, I feel like I haven't seen you in months (probably cause I haven't) now that I'm not visiting Maple Grove much these days.