Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Christmas Vacation Highlights and New Year!

We were so excited to go home to MI for Christmas this year. Unfortunately, our trip was delayed by a evening because of an ice/snow storm. So, we didn't leave until Saturday morning...4 am! Yup, I will get up early to go home to MI, but not to go shopping the day after Thanksgiving. :) Here is the recap for the week.

We got into MI around 12:30pm on Saturday. That meant that I still got to do the annual Saturday shopping with my dad. We go out the Saturday before Christmas to find my mom gifts and maybe pick up a few sweet treats for ourselves. We first get lunch together (this year Joel joined us) and then my dad and I headed downtown Holland and made our annual stops. (Peanut Shop for sea foam and sweet-tarts, The Bridge for a fun free trade gift for my mom, Shaker Messenger for peanut brittle and sour cherry gummy candy, and Treehouse Books.) That night we had my family's Christmas party. It was so much fun to see my siblings and all my nieces and nephews. We all made out pretty good if I do say so myself. (Below is a picture of the girls with their new scarves from my mom and dad. (Susan, Jen, Mariah, Me and Joy)Sunday, we were stuck at my parents' house because of the fierce snow. However, Joel's dad came with the Jeep and we made it to his parent's house eventually. We had a nice dinner and evening with them and Joel's younger brother and sister-in-law who were in MI from Honduras. Due to the snow we spent the night there. (Below is a picture of 3 board Pirateer at the Phillips' house.)
Monday, I got to spend an entire afternoon with my mellons--all 7 of us were there. We figured that this was the first, time that happened in 4 years! It was beautiful! We went to lunch, did Paint-a-Pot, and had dessert at the good Dutch place called Russ'. Joel joined us for part of the afternoon, but also went out with a friend for lunch. Monday night Joel and I relaxed at my parent's and our friend Tim stopped by to say hello. (Below is a picture of the Mellons at Paint a Pot.) Tuesday, we watched my sister's kids in the morning and hung out at the Phillips' in the afternoon. We also got to see my mom's side of the family in the evening. (Below is Joel jumping face first into the snow in his parent's backyard.)Wednesday, we went out for breakfast with my dad. We then took my oldest niece, Mariah, out for lunch. Then my mom made a very nice steak dinner for us, Joel's parents, and my grandparents. We then headed to the Phillips' to open gifts. (JP asks every year to open gifts on Christmas Eve and it never happens, except of course the year he is with his wife's family in Texas. Just needed to rub that in JP!) (Below is a picture of Aren and Leah with the inflatable furniture we gave them.


Christmas, we did church with the Phillips and then headed to Joel's aunt and uncle's home to celebrate with extended family. After that party we headed to my aunt and uncle's home to make it to the Koning Party round 2. :) We had a lot of fun playing Apples to Apples with them. (Below is a picture of Grandma Phillips learning how to play Pass the Pigs.)

Friday, we had a big breakfast with my brother and hung out with friends. Then I had a relaxing afternoon at my parent's home and Joel headed to the beach to see the icebergs with his brother. That night my in-laws took us to a AHL hockey game. Go Griffens! (Below is a picture of Aren by the big iceberg.)


Saturday, we spent the morning at the Phillips and the afternoon at my parent's. We helped both parents set up their new digital picture frames. :) We then headed to our friend's new house! Congrats Tim! (Below is a picture of the group playing Apples to Apples. I love that game.)


Sunday, we went to church with my parents and then headed to church coffee at my grandparents. We then headed back to IA and got home around 7:00pm.

The last three days have been busy packing packing and more packing. Plus moving, moving and more moving. Now the next few days will be unpacking and resorting what goes where. We are now house-sitting for a couple who is in China for 18 months. :)

The moving and packing is probably the worst thing about this Christmas vacation. The best was this though:

Our highlight of our trip was sharing this poem with our families and now we will share it with all of you:

Merry Christmas to all.
We deliver to you,

A precious gift so small.
Whether it is pink or blue,

We are adding a branch to
the big family tree--

Baby Phillips is due
on July Twenty-Three.

Needless to say we are very excited for the year 2009.
Well, Happy New Year to all my blog readers!
I hope the next year brings you much joy and blessings!
Go in God's Grace, Peace and Joy!

9 comments:

Debbi said...

I'm going to congratulate you twice! YAY, I only wish you were due a little bit sooner so we could see the little guy/girl in may when we come back. I hope you have been feeling good, how nice to have a new house too! YAY!

Anne-Marie said...

Congratulations!! That is so exciting! A house (albeit temporary) and a baby!! What a good year 2009 is shaping up to be! Congrats again! Good luck getting settled!

Mark and Aupreille said...

Hooray!!! I am so glad you had a great vacation and are now getting settled in your new pad. So how did everyone take the wonderful news!?!?! I am so happy for you guys!

Oh, and I totally swelled over the holidays so now I am HUGE, good thing I only have a month left.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! Hope you're feeling well. We shouldn't forget your due date....it's Ashley's birthday. :)

De Visser family

Amy S said...

It was so good to see you Julie, when you were here, and to hear your great news in person! :) Congratulations again! I LOVE the poem... very creative!

Melanie said...

Congrats Julie and Joel!

Stephanie said...

your Blueberry icon is so cute!!

Christia said...

Julie!!!!! I'm so excited for you!!!!!!!

Lisa said...

I can't believe I missed this post for so long! YAY! A new baby is so fun. Congrats...