Although on Monday our nerves were relieved knowing that Joel matched into a neurology program. We were still a bit anxious. We didn't know where we would be going. We had to wait until today at 1:00pm EST. Let me just say that this morning seemed to drag on. (It didn't help that Kyper seemed to be in a mood today and that I hadn't slept well.) But, I also kept looking at the clock willing for it to go faster. I wanted to know where to look for housing and what not. Alas, 1:00 arrived. Joel called me from the other room and said he had gotten an email. (He came home for lunch, so we could find out together.) We read it and looked at each other. We were not at all disappointed with the outcome. Without further ado...
Joel matched to Henry Ford's Neurology Program, Detroit, MI!!!
Needless to say we are ecstatic. This was Joel's top choice. It was also mine. This means several things for our family.
First, Joel is going to be a neurologist.
Second, we get to stay in MI for FOUR solid years.
Third, we will be moving from our current house for various reasons, but the main one is that we can move much much closer to our friends and church. We live a half hour away at the moment. Next year we hope to be more like 5-10 minutes from church and maybe even within walking distance.
Fourth, because we will be here four years, most likely in three years when we celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary, the number of times we have moved will be less than the number of years we have been married.
Fifth, I am so grateful for this in regards to my professional career. I have a small part-time job currently and am in the process of securing another grant writing/research gig as an independent contractor/consultant. It means that I can keep networking within the area and hopefully gain one or two more clients if I have the time and gain experience. This is my dream professionally--I want to be a non-profit consultant in regards to grants and planning.
Sixth, I won't have to find a whole new support system. After moving many times, Joel and I feel like we are fairly good at finding friends in new places, but I really didn't want to have to create a whole new community. (Our Christmas card list is too long as it is....haha.) I have friends in place here and like I mentioned before, we will be moving closer to them. Residency is long hours, so I am excited to have a support system already in place for those times I don't see Joel for an extended period of time.
Finally, God affirmed his will for us. Joel felt called to be a neurologist and God made it happen. We have been headed in this direction for a long time--even before getting into medical school. Some days we knew it and other times we didn't. This just reaffirms to me that God is great and faithful!
Thank you so much for all your prayers. We are excited to begin this next adventure of residency.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
It's been inspiring to follow your journey and see the successful match for you!!!! Thank you so much for sharing- and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
Congratulations! That is so wonderful - so happy for all of you!
Congratulations, Julie & Joel... I'm so happy for you guys! :)
Amy
so happy for you! It's going to be nice to be closer to church and friends-we've really enjoyed it this year. and I completely agree with you and know about the support system! Will your new place be closer to Joel's work too?
Post a Comment