Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

The joys of being a car owner...

I know that because I have car trouble, I should be thankful I have a car.  Also in the midst of all of what happened to us in the last 24 hours, I am extremely thankful for a God who watches over us and provides.

So, we went to Ikea yesterday evening.  I needed to return something, and I wanted to look for a duvet cover.  (I am still on the lookout for one of those, so if you know any good deals let me know.)  While, on the exit to get to Ikea, the Jetta stalled.  Fortunately, we were able to get it going again, but it sounded bad.  Joel said is sounded like a wind-up toy.  We decided to go in Ikea anyway and do what we had come for.  In the end no duvet cover was found, but we did find a tupperware for spaghetti noodles--I've always wanted one for them since the boxes don't like to stay closed after you open them and noodles fall all over the place.

Ikea also was having a special were kids ate free.  It was about supper time and Kyper was hungry.  We went to their cafe, but the line was really long.  We didn't think it was worth saving $2.50, so we left and decided to head home.  Hindsight--really good idea!

The car started, but still didn't sound great.  We thought about taking it to Dearborn where we have a mechanic we've used in the past.  We made a few arrangements with friends.  But, then the car started to sound a little better, so we decided to try to make it home.  Hindsight--another great idea.

We were on the highway when all of a sudden lights started coming on the dashboard.  I told Joel to exit, because I felt that if the car was going to die I would rather be off the highway and within walking distance to somewhere.  Joel listened to me and we started heading down the road.  Joel asked "are the lights getting dimmer?"  Yes, they certainly were.  We needed to find a place to pull over.  God totally provided.  There was an oil change center and it was open.  Thank you God!!  It was 6:00 on a Saturday night, we are so thankful they were open.  We made it to the place and the car died ten feet away from the garage.  So, the guy helped us push it in.  He checked the battery and it was dead.  Fortunately, they had one in stock and were able to replace.  However, we were a little concerned that it wasn't just the battery, but the alternator as well.  It started and he told us to take it back in a few days to check the alternator.  He was a great guy.  He gave us $5 off the battery and a free car wash coupon.

We made it home last night at about 7.  Kyper was a trooper during all of this.  I know he was hungry, but he didn't complain too much at all.  If we had done dinner at Ikea, who knows if there would have been a service place open.  If we had gone to Dearborn, we wouldn't have made it and the places in between that we could have gotten stranded were not places you wanted to be stuck.  We were also thankful that I wasn't alone with just Kyper when this happened, because that is the car I drive all the time.

This brings us to the fun car ride this morning--Sunday.  We go to church in Dearborn, which is about a half hour south of us.  We decided to take the Jetta.  Maybe not the smartest move, but again at least it was all three of us.  We made it about ten minutes into our drive and the lights on the dashboard went off again.  I guess it wasn't just the battery.  Joel pulled into a parking lot and kept driving.  We saw a gas station, which was also a service center.  So, we prayed and we made it there.  Their mechanic wasn't in today, which isn't surprising, so he will take a look tomorrow.  But, we are almost certain it is the alternator.  Joy.

Our neighbor came and picked us up, so we just headed home.  I really wanted to go to church this morning, but instead I guess we will have some family time this morning.  Again, I can see that God really kept us safe and provided for us within these troubles.  We are so thankful for that and I am thankful we have the ability to have car troubles.  It means we have transportation.

2 comments:

Rebecca B said...

Julie,
Thank you for your positive outlook. You're totally right about having transportation. John and I are reading through the Bible and on our plan this week, we read Job 1-2. In Job 1:20, Job cried out to God saying, "The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised.” It reminds me of your post.
Thanks for sharing! Love you!

Renee said...

Your perspective about gratitude for having transportation is a great one! It's a nice reminder for me, as we're taking my car into the shop tomorrow for some essential maintenance - timing belt has to be replaced (and in my car, if that belt isn't replaced promptly and breaks, the pistons and valves crash into each other and ruin the engine, so not doing the maintenance is not an option) - and that it is wonderful and a matter of gratitude to have transportation. I'm glad things worked out so well with the places being open and that you were able to get to those safely - God really does provide! Hope that the Jetta gets repaired quickly and it isn't too bad.