Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Joel's Rotations

I thought I would give a quick update on Joel and his rotations. To date he has done the following:
1. Psych
2. Family Practice (2 of these)
3. GI (gastro-intestinal)
4. Radiology
5. Anesthesiology
6. Internal Medicine

He is currently in OB/Gyn. He told me the other day that if all he had to do was deliver babies--non-complicated births--he'd go for this field. But, he doesn't want to do the rest--all the surgeries that go along with this and all the complications that happen.)

Yesterday, he got to deliver his first baby! He was pretty surprised that the attending doctor let him. He got to suction the baby's nose and mouth and then put the baby on the mom and carry the baby to the warmer. He came home and was very excited. About this experience, he said, "It was so cool knowing that I was the first person to hold a new life." See, if he could have that experience only he'd go into OB/Gyn--but OB/gyn is a lot more than that. But, I am so excited for him in this rotation for the reason he stated above. I admit, I am a little jealous of Joel this week in regards to seeing new babies. I think birth is so amazing! I used to be really nervous about it, but since I had my own I am not anymore. I am still not a blood and guts person, but to me pregnancy and birth is just so awesome and I like hearing birth stories and sharing mine when asked about it.

Here is his rotation schedule through the end of June/beginning of July
1. Ob/Gyn (current)
2. Neurology (this is an area he is thinking about focusing for residency--we'll see once if that stays the same or not.)
3. Peds
4. ER
5. Surgery
6. Palliative Care (in Grand Rapids)

I can't believe he is about half way done with his rotations for third year. I can now say that Joel will graduate next year--2011! :)

1 comment:

A and C said...

I never thought about it that way before...being the first to hold a new life. That is some pretty amazing stuff right there! :)