Pages

Monday, April 6, 2009

Realtor or Social Worker?

Okay, so I made several changes to my major in college, but I finally settled on Social Work. I felt like it was my calling and where God was calling me to work and redeem his creation. But, as of yesterday I am thinking I may be wrong. Maybe God wants me to be a realtor. It really seems that Joel and I are great at selling houses. (Before I go on with the rest of this post--know now that I am being a bit sarcastic and still feel like I am in the right place as a social worker.)

First story, when Joel and I were first married we were going to live in my grandma's condo. It had been on the market for awhile and we needed something quite temporary--6 months. She had moved out and decided to let us stay there. However, we knew it wasn't going to be taken off the market. We weren't too stressed. After getting back from our honeymoon we moved in--for one week. Yes, we were only there for one week. I can remember quite distinctly that we were talking to Joel's mom on the phone and she said "So, did you hear from Julie's grandma that she sold the place and you have about 10 days to move." I was dumbfounded. How could this happen. I remember learning right then that Joel and I handle stress a little differently. He likes to sleep and I tend to dwell on it for a little longer and like to be comforted. Sometimes, I wish I were the one that could just sleep and feel better...but that's not how I am made. Stressful situations like not knowing where we would be living in 10 days keep me up at night and I like company on those nights and not company that comes in the form of a peaceful looking and sleeping husband. It's be nice if it kept him up too. But, alas I have gone of track and I really am just jealous of Joel. I still love him dearly. We figured out what to do the next day when I called my cousin to see if staying in their basement "apartment" was still an option. We lived with my cousins for 5 months. (Then two weeks with my parents and then off to Detroit for two years.)

Flash forward 4 years (actually the first story happened at the end of March in 2005, so almost exactly 4 years later). I told you in the last post about a house we were going to rent. It seemed perfect, maybe too good to be true. It had three bedrooms, it was nicely painted. I was going to have a nursery (I know this is way more for the parents than the baby--but I was excited.) We had one question about the lease and the husband was out of town so we were going to go over it with them this past weekend. We knew we would work the question out, so I was basically planning on signing the lease yesterday and faxing it to them today. They had told us they would not be taking the house of the market until we signed the lease, but they were willing to have us sign it early. So, we sign the lease early April, but it wouldn't really start until July. This way they could take the house of the market in April. We get a phone call from them yesterday only to find out that the house sold last week. So, all the work we did over spring break seems rather fruitless to me. My parents and brother were visiting...needless to say I was not very good company. (Fortunately, they are my family and totally understand.)

See why I think I may have missed my calling? Joel and I are great at selling other people's homes. I know we have 3 months to find something else. I even know that the sale isn't final and their is a slim chance we still could get the house. (But, I don't wish this for this couple...I totally understand that they would rather sell now given the economy than rent it.) I know that God will provide. But, knowing this does not diminish my disappointment or make my stress level go down instantly. I need a little time to process this before that happens. I told Joel that if it was just the two of us I may not have gotten as emotional. I admit I still would have cried, but maybe not as much. However, I am pregnant and hormones do not help an already disappointing situation. I am just thinking about "where am I going to be taking a baby home to in July?" I need to provide a safe home for this child and I probably won't even be able to look at anything out there again. I know my parents and Joel's parents have already offered to make trips out to Detroit to look at places for us and I trust them. But, it still isn't the same.

God will provide. I know that and I trust Him.

PS. I know one way that God provides is through other people, so if you know of anything in the Royal Oak area of Michigan please let us know! Also, your prayers for this are also very apperciated!

4 comments:

Renee said...

That is so frustrating to have that kind of stuff happen - and more than once. We will definitely be praying that you find something good soon.

Cohrs Compilations said...

I'm so sorry! this is frustrating. My parents live around Royal Oak. One of my mom's colleagues has some rentals-I can ask.

Leah said...

Hey Julie- We're so sorry to hear about the house. We're praying for you...something else will come through! Leah and Aren

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about this. Why can't stuff just be easy? Remember to let others help you as much as possible.