Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2009

My New Project

So, I am so excited for the next knitting project I am working on! I think it was two years ago that my brother-in-law got me a knitting magazine for Christmas. I was just beginning to knit and had not done too many exciting projects. Since that time I joined a knitting club, which is a sub group of the spouse/significant other group I am a part of for DMU. I have learned a little more about reading patterns and purling. I have made several hats, a scarf and leg warmers in the last two years. None of those last items were ever for me. (Okay, my first project was a scarf for me, but it was my first knitting ever, so it isn't that magnificent.) I decided it was about time to make myself something nice. That brings me back to the magazine my brother-in-law got for me. On the front was an amazing red scarf that I knew I had to have (and make)! The picture on the right is from the cover of the magazine (Vogue Knitting).



I am so excited about it and it is probably one of the more complicated projects I have done. What you do is knit a 2 inch band in the round and then split it into 6 cords. I then have to knit each cord to measure 90 inches! That is taller than me! After I knit all the cords, I am going to braid the 6 cords. Then I combine all the stitches and knit another band in the round for 2 inches. It will take me awhile, but I am looking forward to seeing and wearing the end product. I got a lot of extra yarn so I could make matching mittens and hat with it. I think it will look great with my gray coat. To the left is a picture of what I have done so far. (Sorry for the quality, it is from my cell phone.)


I really enjoy Thursdays, because that is when I go to knitting club. Tracy asked me about this club on Facebook, so I thought I would explain a little about it. Knitting Club is actually a sub-group I am a part of with SAA. SAA is the group for spouses/sig. others of medical students at DMU. I really appreciate being a part of SAA. I have made some pretty amazing friends through the group and it makes me feel like I am more of a part of Joel's educational experience, since I am part of a school club. So, one of the sub-groups is a knitting group. We meet every Thursday night and knit and talk! We have covered so many topics during our knitting sessions. It is also the time I truly devote to what ever project I am working on since I don't always pick it up other times during the week out of lack of time or laziness. (For instance, I really should have been working on it yesterday when I watched LOST for 2 hours, but alas I had to fold laundry and after that was done I just lounged on the couch watching the season premiere, which by the way was awesome!) I am going to miss my knitting club when we move away from Des Moines, but I really don't think it would be too hard to get involved in another one or start one up. First, I know the yarn stores here have knitting groups (or crochet or both!) Second, all you really need to do is find some friends who like to knit (or crochet) and set a time with them to get together to work on your projects. Third, it could easily be something a church could set up for yarn lovers. My church in Dearborn actually would hold a craft night once a month and a bunch of women would come with their different projects--scrap booking, beading, quilting. I took my yarn and needles and knit away. It was way fun. It is such a great way to spend some quality time with friends and get some projects done at the same time.
(PS. You'd think I would want to make a baby blanket or something. I have commissioned Aunt Leah to do that for us while they are in Honduras. My next big project after my scarf maybe will be hand knit Christmas stockings--although it may be a few years, since the scarf is going to require a total of 544 inches knitting. Haha)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks Julie! This was a great post to read! I think it would be fun to start something like that around here! Do you get a lot of people your age, or is it pretty diverse? i'd love to make some new friends who like to do this kind of thing! (i just realized i ended every sentence in this comment with an "!" hum. funny!)

Stephanie said...

It's super cute! And will look great with your (our) gray coat.

PS- I love my leg warmers!!

Anonymous said...

Aunt Leah, that sounds pretty crazy! Probably not as crazy ¨mom¨ sounds to you though, or are you starting to get used to that idea? About that blanket...I havent quite started yet, but I promise it will be done by July 23!