Wednesday:
- Joel and I spent most of the day doing some last minute cleaning before visitors came. And, we made all three desserts for the Thanksgiving meal.
- Katie and JP came in around 3 or 4pm. We gave them a tour of our box, oh wait I mean our townhouse.
- The four of us went to church for a very nice Thanksgiving service.
- My parents and Joel's parents came in to Des Moines right after our service and we headed to our home to catch up.
Thursday:
- We slept in!
- Joel prepared the turkey and started it cooking around 9:00am (yes, 9 am is sleeping in!).
- We sat around a little and just relaxed.
- An hour before the turkey was done we started preparing the food.
- We ate around 1 or 2. Here is the menu: Turkey (stuffed with apples, onions, and celery with a little sage and thyme rubbed on the meat), mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, a warm apple dish, corn, and dinner rolls. For dessert: crustless pumpkin pie, strawberry pie and mocha mousse pie.
- After dinner, we all sat, relaxed, and watched some football. Many of us napped.
Friday
- Had breakfast, thanks to Joel's mom who brought bunt cake and pig in the blankets.
- Four of us went shopping around 10am (I am not crazy-no offense--so we didn't get up early. It was nice because the rush was gone--still busy but not awful.) Katie and I hit like ten stores at the mall in about an hour. We were very disciplined shoppers in our time and money. (Funny thing is: we were both looking for our Phillips men. Both our husbands needed athletic pants and long sleeve shirts.)
- The other four (my in-laws, Joel and JP.) went out exploring and hiking.
- Ate left overs for lunch.
- Joel and I went with both sets of parents to the Des Moines Art Center.
- Saw pictures from JP's trip to India
- Went to Drake Diner. (It is a must now when my dad comes due to their amazing shakes and malts.)
- Relaxed by the pool at the hotel and played games.
Saturday:
- Went out to breakfast with everyone at Waveland Cafe (another must for my dad).
- The parents left right after breakfast. Katie, JP, Joel and I headed back to our house and played the game power gird (fun and confusing at the same time) and dinked around.
- Joel manipulated JP and Katie.
- We drove JP and Katie to Omaha.
- Had a nice dinner with JP and Katie in Omaha and were too tired and full to drive back to Des Moines at 10pm, so we spent the night.
Sunday:
- JP and Katie's flight left early in the morning and Joel and I headed back to Des Moines. We made it back in time to go to church.
- We had a wonderful lunch prepared and served by Andy and Laura (friends from church) and then watched a movie with them.
- Got back to our place by 4 and took a two hour nap.
- We then decorated the house for Christmas. We got the tree and the lights up.
Monday: (Still sorta part of the weekend since Joel didn't have school)
- I went to work while Joel wrote a paper for a class and picked up around the house.
- After I got home from work we had a quick supper and then headed out to Target and a movie. We needed some grocery essentials and I needed a wedding shower gift or Tuesday. We saw the movie Four Christmases. It was funny and entertaining. Not the greatest, but good and really good for some laughs. (It was a free movie, due to the fact that I had passes from a SAA friend.)
As you can read, we had a great Thanksgiving. After Monday, it was back to the real world for us. However, it is a short visit to the real world. We head out of IA on the 19th to spend a week in MI for Christmas!! :)

2 comments:
Next year I'm coming to your house for Turkey! Sounds like you had a good holiday.
how do you make crustless pumpkin pie? the crust is my least favorite part!
Post a Comment