Okay, so I believe that prayers can make a huge difference in peoples' lives. Now, I realize they may not always be answered in the way we want them to, but they are always answered. I also believe it doesn't hurt to pray for specific things, so I am requesting prayers on behalf of one of my tenants that a specific outcome happen.
My tenant, whom shall be called Jane, received a letter at the end of May saying that her Section 8 was going to be terminated due to unreported income. For those of you who don't know what Section 8 is--it is a government subsidy for housing. Basically, the participant pays no more than 30% of their income and the government provides a voucher for the rest of the rent. There are certain eligibility requirements, but I don't know the specifics. So, Jane has been in public housing for 23 years, which is another government program for low income individuals and housing. She has never been late on rent or caused any problems. When Anawim bought the property she was living in, she was switched to Section 8, so she has been on it for a year. About a year ago, she allowed her 43 year old daughter to move in with her, because she was going to be a caregiver. Jane is 74 years old with multiple health concerns and is in a wheelchair. So, with Section 8 you must report all income changes. Jane's income has not changed--she is at a fixed income of about $600 a month with social security. Jane's daughter on the other hand had been working through temp agencies. Jane would ask her daughter if she was turning in her pay stubs. Her response to her mother was "I am 43 mother." Well, it just so happens that she either forgot or intentionally did not report some income. So, Section 8 decided to terminate Jane's voucher. But, get this: before Jane got this letter Jane had requested her to be taken off the lease. This was for another reason, but remember Jane did not know her daughter hadn't turned in all her pay stubs. So, yes she was ignorant and maybe shouldn't have trusted her daughter, but she is a mom can you blame her for wanting to trust her daughter and believe the best about her. So, we are now in the process to appeal this decision. We had a appeal hearing yesterday for her and Jane had Legal Aid come to help her. I think it could go either way depending on how the hearing officer wants to interpret the policies and what not of Section 8. Because, there were several things that could go Jane's way depending on interpretation of words and sentences. So, I ask that you pray that the hearing officer decides in Jane's favor. She admits to being ignorant, but she did not commit fraud. I believe her and she would have no where to go. Yes, she could stay in her unit with us, but in 3 months when she hasn't paid any rent we would have to evict her, so does that really help her. She is a person that truly does need the help. She worked since she was 14 and due to health the last few years she hasn't been able to work. So, she isn't one of those lazy people that chooses not to work. She is one of the people that the government really should be helping.
What gets me is that Jane is trying to do the right thing and would be willing to pay Section 8 any money owed (due to her daughter's unreported income) and then there are other people out there that fraud the system all the time and get away with it.
The hearing officer makes his decision within 10 calendar days, so pray for this please. I know some of you who read this are true prayer warriors and I would appreciate all the help you can do on that end. I'll let you all know when I hear something.
PS. I know I have to update this with the happenings of the Phillips, but I have been busy at work and too lazy to do it when I am home. (I actually have a husband around since it is summer break--so instead of spend time on the computer I spend time with him.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
This story makes me so sad - I really hope that things go in her way and will keep her in our prayers. You are so great to help her (I know it's your job, but still!) This is what the programs are for, honest people like her, who try to work and just can't make it.
Post a Comment