Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Kyper Begins Preschool

Many of you know that I work from home for a non-profit.  About a year and half ago (once Joel started getting paid instead of paying to learn) we had put Kyper in a in-home daycare.  We loved it.  The house he went to was within walking distance, so on nice days we'd walk there.  He loved YaYa and made some fun friends there.  He went to mornings a week, so that I could focus on work.  Let's face it I cannot do non-profit work with a busy boy at home.  (Anja will probably go to the same place this coming fall once she is older than 18 months and getting to even more trouble than she already does. :))

Well, this fall Kyper started to really dislike going to daycare.  There were a few issues I think that surrounded his feelings including, another little boy that was having some issues with the rest of the kids, Kyper was potty-training, and he just seemed like he was getting ready for a more structured environment.  We love YaYa and so did Kyper and I think she is really good with younger kids, but I don't think she had a lot of structured activities, but rather it was just free play.

Kyper also started going to story hour through hour coffee break this fall, and at story hour it is more structured.  They have a story time, craft time and a snack.  He often would tell me that Wednesdays were his favorite day--story hour day.   So along with this information and his dislike of going to daycare Joel and I prayed and really thought about preschool for him.  Our original plan was to wait until next fall, but the more he didn't want to go to daycare and the more he wanted to go to story hour kind of showed us that he may be ready for school.  I also talked to a non-family member who is a first grade teacher.  She and her family watched Anja and Kyper for a weekend while I was gone for a women's weekend and Joel was working.  I realized that I have mom-bias when I say this, but Kyper is smart.  When talking to Tracie though, she said we'd be crazy not to send him and he is ready for school and she pointed out some reasons she said this.

Therefore, after much praying, talking amongst ourselves and with some friends and family, Joel and I decided to send Kyper to preschool starting after Christmas break.  He goes to the Christian preschool that is attached to our church.  The teacher is great.  Kyper loves it and we are excited to see him start the new adventure of school!  Here is a picture of him on his first day of school:
This is the best shot I have of him--what a goof. :)

No comments: