Pages

Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Sneak Peek

I intend to put pictures of our new home up, but I haven't taken pictures of the rooms yet and I want to get a few more projects done.  But, I can give you a sneak peek at our garage. :)

The house we are renting has a two-car garage.  Amazing!  Our goal with a garage is to be able to put cars in it.  We think that the owners basically used this garage as a storage shed.  So, it needed a little tender, loving, care.  It also needed some major repair work, which fortunately the owner had it scheduled to be done before we moved in.  However, with the rain this spring the major repairs didn't happen until we moved in.  (Bonus for us though, is that we got $200 off our rent for the inconvenience. :))  The major repair involved lifting one whole side of the garage up, since the foundation had sunk.  They weren't even able to close the garage door all the way before they had this fixed.  This was able to be done while we were in vacation.  The next big thing, was that the owners wanted to put in an automatic door!  Woot woot!  This was done this week.

So, our plan for the fourth of July weekend was to get the garage  cleaned move the boxes labeled garage from the basement to the garage finally.  I thought it would be a much longer project, but we actually got it done this afternoon while Ky was taking a nap.  (Joel had a half day today. :))

First, we had to move out all the stuff and junk that the owners and workers left behind.  (Now in piles to be brought out to the trash on Tuesday.)  I then swept.  I was thinking the entire time--man, my dad will be proud of me. His garage is very organized and cleaned--I may go as far to say for garages it is almost immaculate.  ;)  While I swept, Joel cleaned out our gutters on the house.  Once I was done sweeping, we moved the cars into the garage, so we could see how we wanted to organize our outdoor stuff around them.  We accomplished that and I think it is very organized and much cleaner.  (I didn't get as far as to get rid of cobwebs between the side boards or in the rafters, but it looks a lot better than it did.)  It is much nicer to look at now. 

Here is a photo of the finished project.


A bonus to having this project done, is that we no longer have boxes in our basement and the storage area in the basement is organized as well as it can be until Aren and Leah pick up our washer and dryer.  (Then we will have a nice spot for our camping gear.)

Haha, I can't believe I just wrote a whole blog post about a garage. :)

1 comment:

Cohrs Compilations said...

you are going to love that garage in the winter-especially the opener. That's awesome you have so much in it-we would have to do work to fit 1 car in our 2 car garage right now. But 2 won't fit due to weight equipment. That's nice that the owners fixed the garage for you guys to use!