Since Joel has some vacation time, we decided to take a family vacation. On our bucket list are New England and Seattle, but we don't have the funds for those trips and we didn't really want to do that long of a drive. So, we did some thinking and came up with the next best option--FLORIDA! One of our best friends lives down there and we were able to stay with her. We also found super cheap airline tickets to get down there--it helps that Ky is still considered a lap child (at least until July 14). Here is a rundown of our time in Florida:
Wednesday:
Flew in. Kyper did very well in the plane, although he was super scared at take off and landing. I think his ears started to bother him.
Stephanie picked us up and we had a picnic on the beach while watching the last little bit of the sunset.
Thursday:
Joel, Ky and I relaxed at Steph's house. We went swimming in her pool and prepped for the Cinco de Mungo party. (Steph got the nickname Mungo in high school and it has kind of stuck in regards to her high school friends.) We decided to make it a party for her since we weren't going to be there over her birthday, which happens to be on the 28th of May. Oh, also note that Thursday was Cinco de Mayo.
 |
| Playing with the sombrero |
 |
| Decorating |
 |
| Typical |
 |
| What's going on? |
 |
| Rebecca and Hannah with Kyper and Julie |
 |
| 3 of the 7 Mellons |
Friday:
We headed to St. Petersburg and went to the Salvador Dali art museum. This was the only day it rained while we were down there.
 |
| The cool staircase at the museum. |
Stephanie took us to the restaurant Sweet Tomatoes (please come to Detroit!) that night and showed us Downtown Disney in Orlando. Downtown Disney is free unless you buy something from the shops. It has some restaurants and shops devoted to Disney paraphanlia. It was fun to just walk around there. We did make sure to go into the Ghiradella store and get a free chocolate sample. I also loved the Lego creations at the Lego store.
 |
| Steph and I in front of one of the Lego displays |
 |
| Captain Joel Sparrow |
 |
| I think we look pretty good in wizard hats |
 |
| She does look this cute everyday. |
 |
| She even looks cute when she does this--Goofunium |
Saturday
We had a beach day. We drove about 2 hours to go to New Symrna beach on the Atlantic. You can drive your cars right onto the beach. It was fun and a little nerve-wrecking having cars driving on the beach with a 22 month old with me. But, Kyper did great. It took him some time to get used to the water, but he did eventually like sitting so the waves could come over him. He also enjoyed the shade chariot we made for him, aka his stroller.
 |
| foto de mi familia |
 |
| Had to get the cool car in the back |
 |
| My beach boys |
 |
| Kyper in his shade chariot |
 |
| Love this shot |
Sunday:
We went to Steph's church and then went out to one of her favorite places--Tapaios. It was very good Mexican food. After lunch, we headed back home to relax. We read by the pool, napped and floated the day away. By the way, it was a great Mother's day for me.
 |
| We all did our toenails--okay Joel just trimmed his. |
 |
| Do you see the alligator--apparently they are very fast |
 |
| A horse behind Steph's house |
 |
| Remnants of the party found a few days later. |
 |
| Picking out nail polish |
We finished the day with a fire in Steph's new fire pit.
 |
| Don't our toes look great--oh and the fire was started by the amazing Joel. |
Monday
Another beach day--this time on the Gulf. We hit up Pass-a-grille beach. It is a good one. The water was super wavy and super warm. Joel and I were swimming when we saw a fever (group) of string rays. It was crazy and a little scary before we realized what they were.
 |
| Steph, Kyper and a Cooter |
 |
| Dead puffer fish |
 |
| Ky and I at Pass-a-Grille beach |
 |
| Finding all sorts of cool things to throw into the Gulf |
 |
| Cool shot Joel took. (I think I may need to print this one.) |
 |
| Our spot--it was a pretty slow day at the beach. |
 |
| Steph and I |
 |
| Joel and I |
 |
| This has got to be one of the cutest pictures I have with the two of us. |
Tuesday:
Joel, Ky and I headed to Tampa and went to the Florida Aquarium. I love aquariums and so far I think this was one of the best I have been too. (Mean, I really only remember three that I have gone to--Shedd's in Chicago, the National Aquarium in Baltimore and now the Florida Aquarium.) Kyper loved it as well.
 |
| "Look mama, fish!" |
 |
| Can you spot two fish in here? |
 |
| Purple lobsters? |
 |
| Ky trying on his shell |
 |
| Water play place |
 |
| Oh, cannons |
After the aquarium, Ky was spoiled and got ice cream for lunch at Parksdale Farms. They have the world's greatest Strawberyy Milkshakes. I experienced this when I was in Florida last November, so this was a must on my list. They are so good! They were rated number one by the Food Network.
 |
| Ky was quite excited about the crowns |
 |
| Delicioso! |
 |
| Joel agrees! |
 |
| Ky and I sitting on the Strawberry throne--we missed the strawberry season by a month. :( |
Wednesday:
We flew back home--sad. Kyper did even better on this trip.
Our evenings were pretty quiet and spent mostly at the pool. After Ky was in bed, we would grab a drink and talk. It was amazing. It was some good quality time with one of my best friends. I am so glad we went down to Florida for a week. It was the perfect vacation--the perfect blend of doing activities and doing nothing.
 |
| Siting by the pool, philosophizing or just gabbing. |
1 comment:
Glad you had an awesome trip! Soon you'll have another friend in Florida to visit! Your friend must live near Orlando. I think the Gulf is warmer due to the smaller space of water because it's pretty warm this time of year. My mom just brought my 5 year old nephew down by airplane and she noticed the flight attendant gave him gummies/fruit snacks at take off and landing both directions and put 2 and 2 together that it helps with the ear popping that kids can handle themselves. Maybe that will help Kyper next time? I have never been to the aquarium in Chicago but have wanted to go and heard about it. We have been to the aquarium in Tampa-so you really liked it better? The Salvador Dali museum looks cool-we will have to do that sometime.
Post a Comment